On Monday the 4th Jarom had 2 more biopsies taken from his back.
These biopsy’s were sent to a dermatolopathologist here.
On Wednesday we met with a pediatric surgeon about removing the
2 initial bumps. Surgery was set for the 18th but I changed it to the 26th to give us more time to figure this out and avoid surgery.
The pathologist here could tell it was some type of condition, but sent it off to a dermatolopathologist at Sloan-Kettering in NY to narrow it down.
His dr decided to try to treat him for PLEVA (she thought it looked most like this), which is one condition it might be, with an antibiotic.
Jarom was sick for hours after taking the antibiotic so that didn’t work.
We had another appt with the dr on Monday to remove stitches. She was going to prescribe another antibiotic but decided to call
The pathologist has diagnosis it as Lymphomatoid papulosis or LyP.
She made him an appt to see a Pediatric dermatologist at UNM on Wednesday.
Here’s what I know about LyP:
It’s rare. About 1 in 1,000,000.
It is a disease of the immune system.
It causes papules (sometimes a few, sometimes hundreds).
Crops of legions may come and go for decades.
There is no cure but some treatments may help the spots heal faster or suppress new ones.
It is benign in that it heals it’s self, but it is made of cancer cells.
Many people with this condition are diagnosed with cancer and undergo chemo and radiation before they are properly diagnosed.
His dr. said some dr.’s believe it’s no big deal. Others think the patient should have bi-annual check ups. It increases your chance of getting lymphoma.
She believes we should take a more aggressive approach because of his age. (The longer you have it the higher risk you have of developing lymphoma. Although, the longer you live the higher risk you have of getting cancer anyway.)
She said if it was her child she’d have him seem at a clinic out east or in
Unfortunately Jarom may have to accept his spots or he may have to live in jeans and long-sleeve shirts all year long. Luckily the worst ones are on his legs and he’s ok with skipping shorts.
6 comments:
STacey I am so sorry but I am glad you got answers do you need anything? Are you guys still up to go to Cali?? We understand if your not but hope you can we love you guys and I wish I was there to help or even to just talk... call me if you just want to vent I am always here and if need be I will drive you myself to cali for Jarom!!
Of course we are still going to Cali. He's fine, just spotted. It's pretty much just cosmetic right now. He's hoping for a trip to Disneyland (that's why he was excited about California). Thanks! You're a great friend.
I am so sorry stacey! I hate it when sad things happen to my kids. He will be in our prayers. Let me know if you need anything. I am sure Jeff won't mind cooking something!!!
Thanks. I hate it when things bad happen to kids too. He's done great with all the poking and cutting he's had done.
We are great but Jeff can cook us something anyway. That man can cook!
I've been following this whole saga on your blog. I'm so sorry this is happening. What a difficult thing to watch your child go through. Please let me know if there's anything I can do.
Logan has no idea why he wears jeans all the time. but for day camp he wants to be just like jarom and wear pants. Logan just thinks it is a fashion statment! Let me know if you need anything!
Post a Comment